Friday, July 12, 2013

Day Twelve: Five Hours for Rain is Way too Long



I've already mentioned that field trip days are the best day. Like last Friday, Paul and Frank led us into the abyss of the New York subway and we visited a museum to look, learn, and sketch. The location of the week: The Museum of Modern Art. I hadn't been the MoMA in years, and was very excited to see the exhibitions. Armed with my sketchbook in hand, and pencils tucked behind our ears, and pens in our back pockets we saw the drawings, paintings, sculptures, and even architectural models of Claes Oldenburg and Le Corbusier. I found my sketches from the MoMA to be very different from the Met. While visiting the Met last week, my drawings focused mainly on shading and precision of my line-work. I wanted to create an image on my paper as I saw it behind the glass case; I used penci to avoid messy mistakes. However, today at the MoMA, I used black pen, sketchy lines, and many words. I think that the artwork at the MoMA is more conceptual, while the areas that I visited at the Met (I wasn't able to see everything) were very historical and cultural. I really like both museums, and I hope that we visit the Guggenheim and the Whitney in the next two weeks.

At the end of class, Paul let us do as we please, whether that be to follow him back dowtown, continue to look through the museum, or to take our chances waiting in line for the rain room. It sounds so cool. It would be amazing to experience rain without getting wet like that - but the line to get in was 5+ hours. That's crazy. I'll find a morning to wake up early and get in line first before the end of the month instead. 5 hours is just a little overkill.





No comments:

Post a Comment