Sunday, June 30, 2013

Day Zero : I Think I Could Get Used To This

The tiny taste of being a Parson's New School Student, in the few hours of living in my first college dorm, is intoxicating  Though the rolling hills of the countryside beckon to some, my heart is one that considers rural farmland a temporary vacation while returning to the land of skyscrapers as a coming home.

New Jersey isn't far from New York, but the atmosphere of the two locations exist worlds apart from each other. A couple of blocks of Main Street Highland Park, New Jersey is not comparable to the expanse of Manhattan that is at my fingertips for the month of July. Less than a block away, crowds of restaurants allow me to try a new taste every day. Two block away, fruit stands attract me with their sweet scent and bright colors. Three blocks, plus a trip on the subway, and I can be anywhere in New York within an hour.

Ahh. It's good to be home.

The Hello Kitty Dorm Life
Day zero is  the start of my most independent, most work-filled, and probably one of the most amazing summer of my sixteen years. Though it's taken the better part of the day, my room has been hello kitty-fied, I've met all my roommates, and now its about time to sleep. Staying in a dorm is like camp. You have counselors, resident advisors, food in the dining hall meal plans, and activities classes to fill your day. Surely, earning college credits will not be as leisurely as zip-lining and eating icecream at summer camp, but the rigor of the course is accompanied by an experience not frequently had and learning beyond what is offered in the walls of my small high school.

Today is but day zero. I have a lot to look forward to.

Highlight of the day:
> Kenza Japanese restaurant at St. Mark's Place with Enrica, Vania, and Ria. The waitress mistook "tuna" for "liver" and we were almost served liver sashimi.

No comments:

Post a Comment